On a trip to London I found something I wanted for some time.
|It was an 1/76 scale AEC 10T10 Regal bus. It was a die cast but it will do fine. So why would I want one. Well the American Red Cross used them as Club mobiles serving coffee and doughnuts during WW2 and I've wanted one in model ever since I saw a picture of them.|
|I dismantled the bus and started on a simple interior. I'm probably overdoing it since very little will be seen through the small windows, but I rather do that than discover that things are missing after I'm finished. I printed two kinds of flower pattern that will be used as curtains. They are doll house wallpapers that I downloaded. They come in 72 dpi but I changed that to 600 dpi. When printed they become much smaller than the original.|
I search the net for pictures of the interior and found enough to build one. I finally found pictures of a real doughnut machine as well, so I tried to build one with the help of the pictures.|
Baskets for the doughnuts was made from stainless steel net. Stupid choice of material as it was very hard to work with.
|Doughnuts was made of a plastic tube. Here are some pictures after I loaded up the doughnuts. The coffee urns were made from some aircraft bombs. Everything is very small, but it was a fun challenge making the details.|
With the doughnuts loaded on the bus, I needed to build coffee cups and two other small items for my bus.|
First a radio. I'm not sure if it is a right variant for a mobile vehicle but I liked the model: I searched a bit and it seems that I built a 1937 Philco 37-60 radio. Perhaps it can work in this setting even though I would have hoped it had been an early 1940th radio.
A dough-mixing bowl was built out of a aircraft propeller-spinner of suitable size and shape
|I wanted some figures in the bus. I had learned that even though the girls were American they used the same type of uniforms as the women in the Royal air force. So, I used the WAAF-set from CMK. I converted the lady in skirt to the one in the white coat. Rather bad painting but not much will be seen when the bus is finished.|
|I also made a very simple interior in the back with some bunks for the crew. The wall shelfs look to big. Now there is just a few small details left before I can paint the bus and put it together.|
I mounted the curtains and the shelfs at the rear, (Well I had built them so why not use them) |
The curtain pattern is an 1940th pattern as far as I know. I've also added some magazines to fill out some empty space
|An EFE 1/76 diecast transformed to an ARC Club mobile just like the originals were. I used Tamiya XF66 graycolor on it.|
|Stockholm November 30, 2013||Not updated|