Being on the Japanese path. I found an article on the internet of some Bf109's that was evaluated in Japan and naturally I had to build one. I was lucky to find a Hasegawa kit on sale, so I had an easy time building it. For some reason it seems if I build something very common I prefer an unusual colour scheme or markings for it.
As the BMW 801 radial engine became available, a Bf 109F was converted with a BMW 801 A-0. This aircraft became a prototype for the Bf 109X. The forward part of the fuselage was wider and it got a new canopy. The wing tips were similar to those of the Bf 109E. The prototype was first flown on 2 September 1940. Development was stopped in early 1942. This is a kit from RS Model built out of the box.
One Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10 that landed in Sweden during the war was tested. The German markings were overpainted.
This is a Revell kit built out of the box.
|Airfix Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4|
|(Model finished 2020)|
|Well that is what the box says but being unable to build out of the box I had to make some changes.|
|I can't remember when it was bought but it has been waiting for me to find a way to alter the exhausts and finally it was time to build it.|
|I managed to convert the landing gear doors before the build died.|
|It laid idle for three years before I restarted it. By then I had lost the doors and had to make new. The struts for the tail were short shot and had to be replaced.|
|This project was the reason for my experiments for exhaust holes. I used a vac canopy since I didnn't need the antenna hole in it but I messed up cutting the vac canopy so I had to use the forward part from the Airfix kit. It got a base coat of grey before the red.|
|I wasnt' happy with the red. I felt that it came out to much brown so I thought that I needed to repaint it but when I had a quick look at it in natural daylight the brown disappeared.|
|In the end I decided to repaint it in a wine red colour. Still not happy with it but I'll let it be. I think that I prefer Matchbox. "No painting necessary" as they used to say.|
|Another down from the wall of shame.|
|Decals came from Flying Papas.|
|So here it is, the Bf 109V14 racer that Ernst Udet crashed at Dubendorf 1937.|
|For a long time, I have had a Bf109 project in mind and for this I needed a B and an F version. The only ones I could find from the same manufacturer were from Heller.|
|(Model finished 2021)|
I hoped that they would originate from the same mould so the parts would fit with each other but unfortunately it was not so but I started to cut into them anyway.
|Then the parts needed to be assembled again plus lot of putty. I wasn't happy with the result so it ended up half built for a long time. Partly because my Alps printer died so I couldn't make the decals for it.|
|But when I bought a Cameo cutting machine I thought that this would make a suitable experiment of making masks for painting. I started by painting white.|
|Followed by yellow,|
|Some black finished the painting of the markings.|
|Then the plane was ready to paint.|
|So, a Bordurian Messerschmitt Bf109 from the Tintin album King Ottokar's Sceptre was finally finished.|
|The end result isn't one of my best but gave some experience to cut and use masks for painting.|
|Stockholm May 27, 2002||Uppdated February 24, 2022|